How to apply for the Audit Qualification (AQ)
ICAEW’s Audit Qualification (AQ) is only available to ICAEW members and is free of charge. Please read through the following carefully to determine if the AQ is relevant to you and how you should apply.
To be eligible for the AQ you must:
- Be an ICAEW member
- Gained sufficient work experience, completed:
- Under appropriate supervision
- Within an ICAEW Authorised Training Employer (ATE)
- Within an audit registered firm
- In accordance with ICAEW regulations
Further criteria details
1. ICAEW membership
You must be a current member of ICAEW to apply for the AQ. If you have joined us via a reciprocal or advanced credit route then you may need to sit further examinations and complete additional practical training.
Members who have joined us through the Pathways to Membership programme may be able to apply for the AQ using the Audit Qualification awarded by their home professional body.
If you are a migrant auditor from another EU member state, you may be eligible to apply for the AQ under the EU statutory audit directive.
Please contact our enquiry team at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on any of these routes
2. Work experience
You must have completed an appropriate period of work experience:
- a minimum of three years general training and work experience obtained within an ICAEW Authorised Training Employer (ATE).
- at least two of the three years must have been completed within a EU firm of registered auditors.
- achieved a minimum of 240 days appropriate audit experience. This experience can be gained both during training or post qualification whilst in membership. Of the 240 days audit work experience;
- at least 120 days must be in statutory audit work as defined in the Companies Act 2006, and;
- the rest must be in either statutory audit work or other audit work similar to statutory audit work, where the nature of such work conforms to the definitions agreed by ICAEW and the Financial Reporting Council.
If you are citing work experience from outside of the UK please read our guidance on gaining audit experience outside of the UK carefully before applying.
a) Appropriate supervision
Your audit work must have been supervised by an individual eligible to sign audit reports as per the requirements of the CCAB (Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies) and the Companies Act 2006. Please refer to the AQ application form and notes for further information on authorised individuals.
b) ICAEW Authorised Training Employer
All of your audit work experience must have been obtained at an ICAEW Authorised Training Employer.
Please read the Audit Qualification regulations for further information on eligibility for the AQ.
c) Audit Registered Firms
The audit registered firm must be within the EU, and must be an ICAEW ATE. Please note that in order to recognise the 120 days of statutory audit experience within the firm it must be gained either within the UK, or within a country or territory outside the United Kingdom which has been approved as meeting the requirements of the UK Companies Act.
d) In accordance with ICAEW regulations
ICAEW awards the audit qualification based on:
- Criteria specified in Schedule 11 of the Companies Act 2006;
- The Financial Reporting Council’s interpretation of the Companies Act;
- The Audit Qualification regulations
Applying for the Audit Qualification
If you were a member before 1 January 1990, it is likely that you will have been granted the AQ under the grand parenting arrangements.
Please call our post qualifications team on +44 (0) 1908 248 028 or at email@example.com