ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.

Capital gains tax

Frequently asked questions from Markel Tax on capital gains tax.

Offsetting earlier losses from property rental against future profits

Premium Content: This is exclusive item - please log in or subscribe to view this item.

May 2019

FAQ on whether a client can set the property losses brought forward against the profits from a newly acquired rental property. He previously rented out a residential property in the UK, but sold it in 2012-13 and declared the capital gain on sale on that year’s tax return. He made a loss that year, which has been carried forward since.