Career advice tips
Creating a winning CV, that will secure an interview, can take time to prepare.
To help, we’ve put together some tips on how to create a successful CV and how to go on and nail that all important interview.
Selling your skills:
Most employers have limited time to read through hundreds of CVs, so to ensure yours stands out make sure your CV:
- is clearly laid out and easy to read. Chronological order of experiences is best
- doesn’t include unnecessary personal details (religious beliefs, gender etc)
- results and achievements
- roles and responsibilities
- experience and skills
- avoids jargon or technical speak. Use recognisable words instead
Four steps to conquer your interview:
- Preparation is key. Research the company’s history, market and competitors. Gain a comprehensive understanding of the company’s values and ethos, plus any future plans
- Make your first impression count. Always:
- arrive on time
- have a smart appearance
- be polite to everyone you meet
- start the interview with a firm handshake
- maintain eye contact and smile - both show confidence
- ask questions at the end of the interview. It shows your interest in the company and role
- Listen to the interviewer’s questions. Not only is your experience being assessed, so is your attitude, character and technical knowledge
- Remember your last impression is equally as important as the first one. Leave the interview with an upbeat attitude and a firm handshake
Visit our Careers Advice (www.hydrogengroup.com/careers_advice) to find out more.