The role of financial leadership in sustainable public finances
Finance leadership and the role of accountants in the public and private sectors has been the cause of much debate over the last few years. In this publication, we explore the role that finance leaders can and should play in sustainable public finances. We explore the drivers for strong financial leadership and the skills and competences that, in our view, a strong finance leader should have.
A number of senior leaders explore the practicalities of financial leadership that is needed to tackle the problems that many governments are facing – whether it be to drive through public sector reforms or to tackle increasing government debts and deficits. Finance leaders need to have both a strategic and a detailed understanding of how government works and be effective communicators and influencers to help shape policy and debates. It is therefore important for such leaders to have a combination of soft skills as well as the detailed technical skills.
Our authors give their insights on:
- the importance of having finance professionals as leaders in the public sector;
- what a successful finance professional leader should look like and the specific skills/qualities that they need to have;
- the challenges that finance professional leaders within the public sector face and how they can tackle them;
- how a finance professional leader can make an impact in government so that people listen when they speak; and
- how governments can ensure that they have the right people in place for these leadership positions.
Accountancy Recruitment - ICAEWjobs
Take advantage of your member discount with ICAEWjobs.
ICAEWjobs is the official job board for ICAEW members, supporting over 140,000 Chartered Accountants.
We advertise accountancy and finance jobs for Chartered Accountants in the business, practice and not-for-profit sectors in the UK and internationally. We specialise in qualified level roles - from Finance Analysts and Financial Accountants to Financial Controllers, Finance Directors and CFOs.
As An ICAEW member you can take advantage of a discounted rate and advertise a job for £300, saving 30% from the standard listing price of £450.
Advertise with ICAEWjobs today and benefit from:
- 40,000 unique users per month
- Over 40,000 candidates receive the weekly newsletters
- Reach over 2,000 candidates with targeted emails
Contact us for more information or call us now on +44 (0)20 7920 8535.
Capital Allowances - Catax Solutions
Catax Solutions specialises in carrying out current and retrospective capital allowances claims for all entities right across the commercial property sector. They provide advice and support to professional bodies, by maximising the potential benefit for them and their clients.
Capital allowances are a valuable form of tax relief available to commercial property owners. However, on many embedded items within the properties — for example, air conditioning and cabling, heating, lighting and security systems — this relief has never been claimed.
Capital Allowances legislation changes, that came into effect in April 2014 (1st April for corporation tax and 6th April for income tax), will have a significant impact on all commercial property transactions. The introduction of mandatory pooling of Capital Allowances within a strict time period of the sale of the property, is now an element of compliance. In practice a purchaser is unable to claim any capital allowances on fixtures within a property unless the vendor has first brought the costs, and then a disposal value into their tax computations. Failure to do so will mean that the benefit could be lost for both the vendor and the purchaser. Working with Catax Solutions will help reduce the impact of the legislation to both you and your clients.
Register using the link below for free access to a Capital Allowances helpline and Legislation and Policy Information.
Company formation - The Made Simple Group
The Made Simple Group is a group of online business solutions, dedicated to making business simple.
The group provides a number of solutions for start-ups and small business. One of their entities - Companies Made Simple - is the largest UK company formation agent in the UK.
Online company formation for Professionals
Made Simple Group is an Appointed ICAEW Partner, with the exclusive offering of a company formation service specifically developed for professionals. The service provides accountants with the opportunity to:
- Form companies online from just £16.99 - including the £13 Companies House filing fee
- Earn £50 cash back for every Barclays Bank Account opened
- Easily manage all companies with free online company secretarial software
- Get rewarded with £20 credit for every 10 companies formed
Free Company Secretarial Management Software
The exclusively ICAEW Accredited Company Management Made Simple is a simple to use and highly innovative system, enabling professionals to manage company secretarial requirements for all their limited companies.
The system is totally free to use, and there’s no catch. It is a genuine, online cloud solution that is accessible 24/7 anywhere in the world, with no installation required. Company Management Made Simple allows you to:
- Easily bulk import your existing companies
- Update company officer and registered office information with Companies House
- View and sort your companies by statutory filing dates
- Sync your companies with Companies House for up to date information
- Prepare and file Annual Returns electronically for just £13 - the same fee that Companies House charge.
For more information and to sign up for free, visit www.companiesmadesimple.com/professional
T: +44 (0)207 608 5500
Dispute resolution - ICAEW
We offer a number a number of dispute resolution services.
- ICAEW mediation service
For resolving disputes - reducing costs, time and avoiding litigation.
- Fee arbitration
Details of ICAEW's fee arbitration and fee dispute scheme.
- Independent arbitration scheme
Resolving disputes which are not in the remit of the ICAEW's disciplinary processes.
Legal services - PURPLE LEGAL ®
PURPLE LEGAL ® - the nationwide legal support scheme and preferred legal services partner for ICAEW members.
PURPLE LEGAL ® allows ICAEW members to access:
- A range of discounted and fixed-price legal products and services for you, your family, and your business
- Discounted fees generally, for ICAEW members
- A full team of specialist lawyers in all areas of personal and business law
- For your business - free reviews of legal documents
To have your initial consultation, at no charge, with one of PURPLE LEGAL's specialist lawyers, simply call +44 (0)845 567 6003 or you can visit purplelegal.co.uk/ICAEW
Specialist lawyers can advise you in each of the following areas of law:
Personal Legal Services Business Legal Services
Wills, Trusts, Tax Planning
Elderly Client Services
Regulatory & Defence & Disciplinary hearings
Business start-ups, mergers, and acquisitions
Shareholder and Partnership Agreements
Regulatory & Defence
- New rules on selling to consumers – June 2014
- Dealing with difficult situations in the workplace
- Social media in the workplace
T: +44 (0)845 567 6003
PURPLE LEGAL ® is also ICAEW’s Appointed Partner for the ICAEW Legal Helpline, offering ‘free’ legal advice and support to all members of the ICAEW.
If you would like to be contacted directly with further information on this product/service, please complete the feedback form at the bottom of the page.
- Terms and conditions